Friday 24 April 2015

Jolly Author Spotlight - Gina A. Watson



Gina A. Watson is an Australian author. I met Gina through another author friend of mine. All three of us had submitted a story to the same anthology, Lurking in the Deep.
Apart from the fact that Scott adores Australians, he found it very easy to hold Gina amongst the top of his author friends. She is very smart, very helpful, kind and goes above and beyond for her fellow authors.
Here, I catch up with Gina for an interview.


Where are you from and what makes this place special to you?
I am from Adelaide, Australia. For me, it's special because it is so laid back and quiet.

What genre or genres do you dabble in?
I tend to try to write anything that comes up, especially for anthologies. But my main genres are YA, Paranormal, fantasy and horror.

Other than author, do you have any other occupations?
I am currently studying a bachelors degree at the University of South Australia. My major is Writing and Creative Communication.

What were your top three favourite childhood books?
Oh wow... Um... I'd have to say anything by Enid Blyton. So I don't really have a top three.

What are your current top three favourite books?
Top three current books, wow you're good at making me think. The Throne of Glass series by Sarah J Maas, Anything by Richelle Mead and anything by Maria V
 
Link
Link













Which writers have influenced you?
Definitely Maria V Snyder. Her writing is so powerful and amazing that it pulls me in to every story that she writes. Some day I wish to be as good as her!


And what about books, do any inspire you?
They don't really inspire me in that way but while reading the Maria V Snyder books and the ones by Sarah J Maas... They make me want to write my stories.


Why did you choose to become an author?
I had always had ideas for stories but they had never stuck in my head before so one day when my muse brought me an idea and wouldn't let it go, I wrote it all down and started to write it. After that I found that my passion was for writing.


Would you like to tell us about your writing process?
My writing process... An idea pops into my head, I write it down and any other ideas that snow ball from it. After that I come up with characters and a full storyline and then I write at night.


How do you deal with writer’s block?
I've never fully had writers block before. I've had lack of motivation and inspiration but I've always been able to write something during those times but I've found that having awesome friends around you to motivate you to write works a treat.


Aside from writing, what are your hobbies?
I love watching anime.

Link
Link













Do you like tea? What is your favourite flavour or kind?
Earl Grey or English Breakfast! Definitely!


Tell us one place in the world you would absolutely love to travel to. Why?
Only one? Um.. That's a tough one. I really want to go to America and travel around the states, seeing anything and everything I can. I know you only said one but I'd also love to go to Canada!

Is the glass half full or half empty?
Half full!!

Would you be the superhero or the villain?
Hero! Heck yeah! I want all the superpowers!

Do you have a favourite film?
Labyrinth by Jim Henson!! I love that movie!

Link

A film company wants to turn your book into a film, but they want to completely change the ending of the film from how it is written in your book. How would you feel about this?
No way! I love the endings to my stories. They always set the scene for what happens next, they may as well ask to completely change the start of the next one too. My endings stay as mine.

Do you have any strange or quirky talents?
Um not really... None that I can think of.

Why should people read your books?
People should read my books because they want to and not because I tell them to. But if they do read them, I really hope they like them.

What is one thing most people probably don't know about you?
I actually didn't like reading when I was in school. I used to refuse to read any books but then I grew out of it, found a genre that I loved and fell in love with reading

Are you writing anything at the moment?
I am currently working on 4 short stories, a series of novellas about fairies, 2 fantasy novels and a secret 3 part project with a friend of mine.

What are you reading currently?
Right now I am in the middle of Crown of Midnight by Sarah J Maas and just started The Skylar Wolfe Mysteries by Mariana Thorn.
Link
Link















Read Gina A. Watson

http://smarturl.it/LurkingintheDeepJWS
"Enticing Waters" - Lurking in the Deep anthology.

A brilliant short story relating to Celtic/Scottish folklore of water horses called the Kelpie.










 
Buy links
http://smarturl.it/nhjeuf
"For The Love Of Fire" - Love Sucks anthology

Fall into a world full of passion, romance, first dates, and first kisses, but be prepared, love doesn’t always end well.



Buy Links






Follow Gina A. Watson

Gina A. Watson's Author Page
Gina A. Watson's Goodreads Page




Thank you Gina for taking part in the interview!
Best of luck with your writing and bachelors degree! Everyone should try to read your writing when they get the chance to.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts and have your say. Then have yourself a jolly day!